Troia was a Lusitanian-Roman station located in the peninsula of the same name, at the end of the parish of Carvalhal in Grândola, right in front of Setubal.
The cetárias, or fish salting tanks, stretched even in 1858 a distance of 4 km, according to Carlos Ribeiro. Thus concludes that once there stood an industrial town, with a bulky of garum and fish canning industry, whose production would be exported outside the peninsula and therefore also an important center fishing. This Roman center occupied the best part of the peninsula and how the land was not unhealthy, in contrast to Setúbal, workers have been recruited from neighboring indigenous settlements, which led to the depopulation of the area according to the Roman strategy, mentioned by Strabo.
Research carried out show that this settlement date of the second century AD, showing signs of progress and development in the following centuries. Shows signs of decay season in recent years of its occupation. Living an industrial activity that had its markets outside the peninsula, the decline of the empire and the fall of its western part implied and explain the decline of the town.
The Lusitanian-roman site of Troia is important in the religious point of view, as well as any traces of pagan worship and Christian, is one of the rare places in Portugal where it is known to have the worship of Mithra, revealed in a bas-relief.
Comments are closed.